Originating in the Netherlands, “lock bumping” has made its way to the U.S. It is a popular technique among criminals to open most cylinder and dead-bolt locks. All it takes to get into your home is what is called a “bump key.”
Bump keys can be made at any locksmith or Home Depot store or can even be ordered online! So kind readers take heed now, this is a subject you must take seriously for your own protection.
The National Crime Prevention Council states that 75% of all break-ins occur with no sign of forced entry.
Without giving too much away, lock bumping involves getting an uncut key and cutting and filing it to the deepest position for most locks, allowing users to open just about any lock.
Sign Up For The Latest Threat Survival News:
The technique can be executed by a 12-year-old, and the real clincher is that with a bump key, most locks can be opened in 10 seconds or less!
Some 90% of American doors have an old-style cylinder lock, which can easily be “bumped.” This powerful technique is non-destructive and shows no signs of forced entry!
How Do You Prevent Lock Bumping?
|Getting the right lock professionally installed is a key way to protect your home or office.|
- Understand that home security in general should be accomplished in layers. A door chain is a good idea for added protection. It won’t stop entry, but it is part of layering your security approach. In addition, remember the lock is only as good as the integrity of the door, the doorframe and the hinges.
- Consider hiring a professional locksmith to modify your existing locks. A locksmith can add security pins to your existing cylinder locks to enhance protection.
- Install a higher-security lock, making it more difficult for the criminals to gain access to your home or business — most mass-produced locks that one finds for sale in hardware stores are vulnerable to lock bumping.My advice to you is to get a high-security type lock. Professional lock manufacturers like Medco, Schlage, MIWA and others all produce bump-resistant locks. These locks often possess a secondary locking device called a “sidebar,” which makes it much more difficult to be bumped open.Often these locks are denoted by a “UL 437” or have a symbol on the outside of the lock cylinder itself, which represents that the lock has been specifically designed to be “bump proof.” These types of locks also usually have restricted-type keys that require identification when seeking to copy the key.
HUGE Investment Opportunities!
The International Energy Agency (IEA) just announced that demand is about to rise a whopping 1.1 million barrels per day, a 57% surge over last year! That will soon drive energy stocks like these into the stratosphere. Don’t miss the greatest oil and energy fire sale in 30 years! Click here for information!
- Next, never give your house keys to any valet or attendant when dropping off or parking your car. Many keys have a direct code on the key, which could be copied down and brought to any locksmith shop to copy the key.
- Get proper defensive training so you have a plan in the event that your house is breached while you and/or your family members are at home. This could be a disastrous situation for the homeowners as in the case of a home invasion. The correct defensive training could mean the difference between life and death for you and your family members.
Home security is accomplished in layers. The more layers you have, the more difficult you make it for the criminal to breach your inner sanctuary. Start making your home more secure today by surveying your locks and doors.
Lock bumping is certainly a potential threat to you and your family. However, don’t overlook other obvious ways that a criminal could gain entry to your home. We want to believe that because we are in our homes — our “safe zones” — that we are indeed “safe.” But that does not mean you can be lax and leave doors or windows unlocked. Don’t make it easy for the criminals in our society to make you the next victim!
Until next time, stay safe, check your six and stay alert!
P.S. If you care at all about preserving your wealth in the coming crash — and then multiplying it many times over — read Mike Larson’s urgent report NOW!